Thursday, July 25, 2013

represent yourself in court and save lots of money

It costs a lot of money to hire a lawyer to represent you in court whether for a criminal case or a family law case or a civil case. The client assumes that the lawyer is competent and knows what they are doing. However there are a lot of lawyers who are good at convincing people that they know what they are doing, but in fact are incompetent and almost useless. Recently I needed the help of a lawyer and a legal aid lawyer visited me and I wanted his help to make an application to the court. But the next day I was informed that the lawyer wouldn't be representing me because there was no funding from legal aid for him to appear. He didn't tell me himself, but I found out on the court day from the prosecutor. I found out later that he was hopeless and didn't believe my application would be successful. However, when you are desperate, you are grateful for any help you can get. So I decided to make the application myself. The police opposed it, but I was successful. And you can be too, if you know what to do. I used to be a lawyer and there were times when I suggested to my clients that they represented themselves because I believed they would do better for themselves than I could. My reason for this was because in Australia, the courts have a duty to assist self-represented litigants and often the Judges pay closer attention to self-represented people than they do to lawyers. In this case, it turned out well and the client did a lot better than I would have been able to do for him. Judges switch off when lawyers start speaking to them. Some people have no choice but to represent themselves because they either don't qualify for legal aid or they can't afford the services of a lawyer. If you are in this situation, then I can help you. I have written a self-help manual called "How to represent yourself in court (criminal case)" You can find it on www.knowledgetohelpyou.bigpixie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment